Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Garden Memories

Here is a memorial to our late garden. Last Saturday we gutted, and relocated our garden in preparation for the leaves and winter fallow. I felt pretty tough tilling the ground and lifting our garden beds into the new location, and I am just thrilled by these improvements.
After building raised beds (2 of 4 planned) and fitting them with drip systems late last fall, we had great expectations initially. Although we struggled to get it in on time, we had great cooperation on the part of our tomatoes and especially out tomatillas. It was a verifiable jungle. Thanks to Wasatch community gardens for FABULOUS varieties!! We were not the only ones to be lured into picking fresh peas and beans.
Eliza exclaimed on more than one occasion (once apologizing for eating all the sweet peas!) "I am so sorry, but I just cannot stop eating them!" We will be planting more of those next year. These were a big hit with all the kids (Parker asked for a bag to collect peas nearly every time he visited).


I am particularly partial to basil and look forward to that time every year. Fresh basil from the garden just makes everything a little better. Luc we thrilled when I let him pick it. . . he carried it around all day and smelled delicious. And I have renewed my opinion that a carrot just is not a carrot unless it is pulled from my ground (or my neighbors...) Yummy :)

With our 'improvements' Saturday, we look forward to an even better year next summer!

3 comments:

Christy Jones said...

Awesome, I love your garden!! Alot of work but so worth it. I love,love fresh tomatoes!! California is nice for having 3 growing seasons so I get year round tomatoes. gotta love that!!
Miss ya and hope you are good.

The Pratt Pack said...

Sorry my kids probably eat you out of house and home. I should plant peas next year too!!! Or I could just keep sending my kids to eat all of yours:)

erin said...

They are welcome to it! Heaven forbid the peas die on the vine! and I happen to know that no one eats more than my kiddos...so I am sure it works out pretty evenly. We are so happy to have you as neighbors.