Monday, January 12, 2009

A Little Light

I have been deeply saddened by the renewed conflict between Israel and Palestine, and even more discouraged by the inability of people to talk about it in a compassionate and human way. Although my expectations from politicians are pretty low, I have been pretty disappointed in the lack of insight and compassion in the responses that I have heard, and even quite embarrassed for those who are supposed to be representing me in Washington.

I stumbled upon a site that I think is quite remarkable.

http://gaza-sderot.blogspot.com/2009/01/day-after-war.html


This blog represents two men who live a mere 10 miles from each other on different sides of the border. They have created a friendship and report the challenges and conditions of their lives in a way that makes this conflict human.

I just wanted to share something positive in the midst of a difficult and depressing situation. I feel hope from the effort of people to come together despite differences and difficulties-- and no one is saying it isn't complex -- to recognize each other as fellow humans instead of objectifying and dehumanizing each other.

1 comment:

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

As always, you do a wonderful job of making people think! Thanks!