Saturday, November 7, 2009

Our Disney Adventure

I will admit it...I wasn't sure I really wanted to take 4 young kids to Disneyland. . . land of simulacra and fantasy (I am just not that fun). . .my mother persuaded me to go with her.

The trip to CALI was relatively calm. We rode in the BIG car (grandma's excursion). . .and everyone was snug as a bug in a rug...or something like that.

Our first day, we HAD to go and meet Mickey. L kept saying that we had to go to Mickey Mouse's house, so we did. We had to keep N from eating his nose. I do not remember ever knowing about Toon Town, but it has been at least 20 years since I have been to Disneyland. . so I was just glad that I remembered anything I guess.

The kids had a magical time. Including time at the hotel pool, which was N's favorite and S actually asked to stay at the hotel and swim the last day rather than return to the adventure parks (which was tempting to me--but we already paid for the tix so. . .).

What a good daddy to take them ALL swimming.

Our favorite parade was at California Adventure Park--the Pixar Play parade. We still sing the song around here . .

S just kept saying "now I know that Mater and Lightning are REAL!" L was pretty excited too.

We ate lunch at the Blue Bayou Cafe (inside Pirates of the Caribbean). N was a cute pirate, although quite grumpy and tired and S was soooo unhappy that we had to spend anytime anywhere near the scary rides.

All around we had fun goofing off and finding out our inner animals (I am a Beaver--which makes sense), rock climbing, etc. Buzz light year ended up being our go to ride when L couldn't ride big kids rides like star tours, and splash mountain (he just missed the 40 inch requirement at 39 inches). I decided that it was OK even though it was a shooting game (and I was afraid his random gun fetish would get worse).


Dumbo still is a favorite, and we had fun driving in Automania (E still quotes some of the jokes that are on the screen as you wait in line). And we had to do Teacups exactly once.

E and S ran around the parks literally kicking up their heels with happiness and joy. All in all, the kids were delightful much to the astonishment of my pessimistic self. They were so well behaved I thought that maybe someone had replaced my little monsters with disney charactatures.
We done wore ourselves out. Scott decided to take a little nap here and there. Funny As Small World doesn't capture our interest on the 12th run like it does for the kids! And poor L was just tuckered out, even though he got to ride on grandma's (wheelchair) lap a good deal more than anyone else.
Poor kid. Well now we can say we did it. We had MANY conversations with the kids about what was real and what was not. They were just trying so hard to figure it all out, and it was actually fun for me to watch. When pressed, I flippantly said we would come back in 10 years (right after we get our hypothetical dog), and now every once in a while E will remind us that we get to go back when she is 16. I think everyone had fun and no one lost an eye. A success on all counts.

No comments: