Monday, April 19, 2010

The weather has warmed. In my life this means that we change from indoor house projects to outdoor ones, since we ALWAYS have something we are trying to improve around here. In an effort to be better neighbors (and improve our status as the 'shame of the neighborhood'), we spent the last few days trying to get a handle on the perpetual, ubiquitous dandelion problem.

First, I bribed the kids to pick all the yellow flowers that they could see . . . and their hands turned yellow and they made significant progress toward filling my wheelbarrow. . . Meanwhile, I started digging them all up. I am not sure we really had a lawn at all. It mostly consisted of the dandelion. Everytime I close my eyes this is what I see.Our yard was not famous for the lush grass before, but when I was through taking out the weeds it looked even worse. I have to admit I wasn't exactly surprised, but it was still shocking to see.
I thought this was a pretty good start. . .but I ended up filling this thing at least 5 times before I was 'through.' Now I know why I put it off for nearly 4 years. Once I started, I could not stop for about 3 days. I only suffered the usual aches from bending and kneeling and stooping, a bruise in my palm and an impressive blister.

We transplanted the sod that we cut from the front yard to the back, once I finished my prep work. . .it looks so much better and I have hope that we will save ourselves some of the mud of last summer.

And now the real projects begin!!!!

2 comments:

Christy Jones said...

This post reminds me of your Dad. He always had a project!

Dana Cheryl said...

Wow! What a job!! I'm like you if I get started I don't stop but I just really put off the getting started part. :)